The Kursk land is rich in its cultural traditions. The region has more than 4 thousand objects of cultural heritage: monuments of archeology, art and architecture, military glory.
At various times, the Kursk Province was visited by the poets F.I. Tiutchev and J.P. Polonsky, writers L.N. Tolstoy and A.M. Gorky, composers P.I. Tchaikovsky and A.P. Borodin.
Not far from the pearl of Russian Orthodoxy, "Korennaya Pustyn" Monastery, in Zolotukhinsky area, the classic Russian poet Afanasiy Fet lived and worked for a long time.
A great contribution to the development of the culture of our motherland have made the great countrymen, artists K.A. Trutovsky, V.G. Schwartz, A.A. Deineka, V.M. Fangs.
The natives of the Kursk land, writers Arkady Gaidar, Konstantin Vorobyov, Valentin Ovechkin, Yevgeny Nosov, an essayist and playwright Nikolai Field are widely known in our country and abroad.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the great Russian singer, Nadezhda Plevitskaya, was the first to come on the stage with great songs of Kursk.
Kursk land gave the world the genius of musical art, one of the greatest composers of the twentieth century - Georgy Sviridov.
Currently, workers of culture and art of the Kursk region cherish the history, maintain and develop folklore and crafts, create new works of art, stage new performances and concert programs.
Kursk Regional Local Lore Museum.
On March 14 (New Style – March 27), 1903,"Kursk historical and archaeological and handicraft museum in memory of the visit of His Imperial Majesty Nicholay Alexandrovich of Kursk in 1902" was established. The initiator and active participant in the creation of the museum and the giver of many museum objects became the Kursk Governor N.N. Gordeyev. The museum was created by donations of individuals, purchasing exhibits at fairs and antique stores in St Petersburg and Moscow. The first visitors came to the museum in 1905.
Currently, the exposition is located in two departments: nature and history. The museum and its branches has kept more than 350 000 exhibits. In the museum's collection are objects of the ancient art, unique ethnographic specimens of typological subjects of noble people and peasants' life, antique porcelain, the paintings of the 18-20thcenturies, the samples of weapons, art metal, traditional folk costumes, Kursk carpets, samples of Soviet vexillology, personal files of famous and simple Kursk residents. More than 33 000 items of numismatics, more than 25 000 copies of rare books, approximately 110,000 original documents and photos, almost 9000 units of objects made of precious metals are in the exposition, and the vaults of the museum and its branches,.
The Regional Museum and its 29 branches are visited by 300,000 people every year.
Kursk State Regional Museum of Archaeology.
Kursk State Regional Museum of Archaeology was created on September 29, 1993 and became the first independent archaeological museum on the territory of European Russia, which aims to study, preserve and promote archaeological sites of the Kursk region.
At the end of 1993, Kursk State Regional Museum of Archaeology has been transferred to the estate with a complex of buildings at the intersection of Gaidar and Pioneers streets. This homestead is known as "Boyar Romodanovsky's Chambers" and is connected with the local traditions of the famous Russian princes of Romodanovsky, several members of which were the governors of Kursk in the XVII century.
On the basis of the museum, there is a permanent Gochevskaya Old Russian archaeological expedition, led by the director of the museum G.Y. Starodubtsev. Discovered during field researches subjects supplement the museum, numbering 131,863 storage units. The most interesting findings (2389 items) are presented in the permanent exhibition of the museum devoted to various periods of the history of the Kursk region from the Stone Age to the Middle Ages; they occupy 8 halls with total area of 134.8 m2.
In April 2006, inKSRMA appeared a branch, Historical and Ethnographic Museum (Pryamitsyno, Oktyabrsky district.). In the funds of the branch are 2128 items, some of which are exhibited in three halls of the permanent exhibition (History- arheological, Ethnographic, Modern history).
Kursk State Regional Museum of Archaeology conducts an active research work, which allowes the museum to become one of the leading research centers in the study of the past of the "nightingale" region. Its employees are involved in the work of Russian and international conferences, symposiums and congresses. Museum hosted a number of thematic scientific conferences, which were attended by archaeologists and historians of the research and training centers of various regions of Russia and Ukraine. After the conferences came out collections of scientific works, which caused great interest among archaeologists and historians involved in various aspects of the history of Southeast Europe.
Educational activity is one of the main areas of the museum. For each social group is developed its own program, which takes into account the age, interests and capabilities of a particular audience.
For pupils of preschools, emphasis is made on the playing aspect of activities, they contain characters dressed in reconstructed clothes of the people of past eras, antiques, pictures of everyday life of ancient people and their way of life, allowing the child from an early age to join the history of the Kursk region.
Schoolchildren can get the information about their native region not only through the traditional sightseeing tours, but also specially created museum-cognitive events. These views allow to see how people lived the Stone Age ( "School of the Stone Age"). During the "fabulous hike", children get acquainted with the myths, legends and characters of ancient legends; and in a class "School of the young archaeologist," you can try yourself in the role of an archaeologist, see and work with research tools. To broaden children's horizons and knowledge of the Kursk region, with its places of interest and rich history, are held specially designed off-site trips to the school with the use of modern technical means, bus trips to the archaeological, historical and cultural monuments.
Museum tours, lectures, historical and educational games and public events are attended by about 40,000 people each year.
Kursk Regional Scientific Library named after N. Aseeva.
Regional Library was opened for readers on the 16th of May, 1935. N.K. Krupskaya It welcomed the opening with the telegram. During the war, the library's funds were partially evacuated to Sarapul, Udmurtia. A month after the release of Kursk from the Nazis, on the 13th of March, 1943, the library reopened.
In March 1965, on the decision of the RSFSR Council of Ministers, the Kursk regional library was named after the famous poet, Kursk resident Nicholay Aseev.
The Regional Library, as a curator of the regional memory, is the largest fund holder of local history and local publications that make up the information and resource base for the study of history, socio-economic and cultural development of the region. The universal fund of documents on various media is more than 2.5 million. The pride of the book fund is a fund of rare books, which has about 18 thousand samples and includes editions of the XVIII, XIX and XX centuries, which have scientific, historical, cultural, artistic and bibliographic value. These are publications on history, philosophy, science fiction, encyclopedias, reference books and periodicals, most of which was published in Russia before 1917. Among them are such publications as "Arithmetic" by A.F. Magnitsky (1703), "Russian merchant Rila eminent citizen Grigory Shelikhov journey in 1783 from Okhotsk by the East Ocean to the shores of t America" (1791), the first and lifetime editions of works by prominent scientists, writers, public figures like A.S. Pushkin, M.Y. Lermontov, I.S. Turgenev, A.N. Benoit, I.G. Ehrenburg, K.M. Simonov, D.I. Mendeleev and many others.
Kursk Regional Scientific Library named after N. Aseeva is a public cultural information center, has the status of the region's central library with a large range of features and traditions that have developed over its long history. The structure of the library consists of 16 departments and 6 sectors serving different categories of users. Annually the library serves more than 30 thousand readers, including remote access. The technologies of the major library-information processes are automated, there is an access to the global information network, Internet. Every year, the library's fund issues more than 950 thousand documents.
The library actively creates its own electronic resources: electronic catalogs, bibliographic databases, multimedia publications.
Today the library is a center of cultural life of the community, an open platform for dialogue, free exchange of opinions and ideas.
Kursk State Picture Gallery named after A.A. Deineka
Kursk State Picture Gallery named after A.A. Deineka is one of the most notable art museums in Russia. The funds of the gallery keeppaintings, sculptures and graphics of the domestic and foreign masters of the XVI-XXI centuries, objects of folk and decorative art of the XVIII-XX centuries.
The Art Gallery was opened to the public in 1935. The history of the collection originated in 1903-1905. The first works of art were received as the donations of individuals, including Kursk Governor N.N. Gordeev, who wasthe known trustee of museums. However, the real basis of the collection was created after the revolution. It consisted mostly of paintings from the collections of the Baryatinskys, Nelidovos Schwartz, Rehbinder. The dedicated art department of the Provincial Museum was renamed into Kursk ArtGallery. The new museum was replenished by works, transferred from Moscow and Leningrad as well as by independent acquisitions.
Since 1969, the gallery bears the name of Alexander Deineka (1899-1969). Kursk collection of works by A. Deineka (about 1,000) gives a complete overview of all stages of the master. Works of Deineka from the Kursk Picture Gallery were exhibited in Russia, Austria, Hungary, Germany, Holland, Denmark, Finland, the USA, Japan and Italy.
Today, the gallery has a collection of 10,000 items of fixed assets. Every year it is visitedby about 40 thousandinhabitants and visitors of Kursk.
Kursk Regional House of Folk Art
Kursk Regional House of Folk Art was established on the basis of amateur art department at the regional department of the Arts in October 1937. For seven and a half decades, the House has repeatedly changed its name, but the essence of its work has always remained the same - the practical implementation of the state policy in the sphere of revival, preservation and development of traditional folk culture, amateur art and cultural and leisure activities.
In 2007, the Kursk Regional House of Folk Art has been recognized as the best House of Folk Art in the Russian Federation. For more than thirty years, theteamof this creative organization is headed by the Honored Worker of Culture of Russia, Tatiana Bykanova.
Currently, the Regional House of Folk Art is a multifunctional association that includes five departments and five branches: Historical and cultural center "Korennaya Pustyn", Glushkovsky center of arts and crafts, Pristensky center of popular culture, Samoryadovsky House of Crafts, Sudzhansky center of arts and crafts.
In September 2010, at the House of Folk Art opened an exhibitionhall, "Kursk crafts", where is a unique collection of traditional crafts (Sudzha ceramics, Kozhlya toys, Glushkovo and Dronyaevo pottery, Samoryadovskoe weaving, etc.) and contemporary arts of Kursk region. Today, over a hundred craftsmen productively work in the region. Twenty-five Kursk craftsmen were awarded the title "National master of Russia."
Kursk Regional House of Folk Art has five creative collectives:"Casket" folklore ensemble, S. Chagovets People's Choir,“Wartime Friends" Veterans' Choir,"Style" show-ballet,"The Sixth Sense" vocal-jazz group.
Folk ensembles and masters of arts and crafts were presented at festivals and forums both in Russia and abroad: II Inter-regional stage of the All-Russian festival of national creativity "Salute of Victory" dedicated to the 70th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War of 1941 - 1945 (CFA ) (Tula); Interregional Festival of sounding clay toys "Play, my little toys" (Tula); XI All-Russian festival of national creativity "You, Russia, is bothmy heart and my song" named after A.P. Mistyukov (Lipetsk); Inter-regional youth contest of crafts "To the heights of excellence" (Lipetsk region); XV International folklore festival "Trotsky dances in Orel Polesye" (Orel region); III Inter-regional festival of ethnic and historical reconstruction "Malanya" (Belgorod region); III International Festival of Cossack culture "Cossack Circle" (Belgorod region) and inter-regional (military) all-Russian folk ensemble "Cossack Circle" (Yaroslavl); V Inter-regional song festival-baton "Songs of the Don" (Voronezh region); the IX International Festival of Folklore and Crafts "Twelve Keys' and II Festival of the art of pottery and clay toys " Tales of grandfather Philemon"(Tula Region); IV International Festival of Slavic art "Russian field" (Moscow); VI inter-regional festival of folk craftsmen and artists "Sloboda of crafts" (Belgorod region); V International Festival "Moscow Cossack village" (Moscow); All-Russian festival of rural folk groups "Native places" (Smolensk); Interregional Assembly of craftsmen and crafts "Golden Hands of Chernozem" (Belgorod region); Inter-regional festival of folk Cossack culture "Gathered Kazachenki" (Orel); Inter-regional festival of Cossack culture "Crimean tulumbases" (Simferopol district, Republic of Crimea); Republican festival of Bokovskaya songs dedicated to the Day of the elderly people"From Heart to Heart" (Feodosia district, Republic of Crimea); International Festival "With the Rifle and Harmonic" (Lipetsk region).
Kursk Region Film and VideoFund
The revival of the cinema sphere in Kursk region, after the demise of the 1990s, began in 2002. Due to the policy of the new leadership of the region, the Committee on Culture, film screening in Kursk region was restored in all 28 districts of the region and a network of urban municipal cinemas, including Kursk, was maintained;as a result, the number of spectators, served by film projectors, increased 4 times (from 150 thousand in 2002 to 607.3 thousand in 2014) . Since 2011, a program of modernization of cinema circuit has been carried out by the Committee on Culture of the Kursk region.
Currently, the structure of the sphere of public cinema service in Kursk region includes film distribution organization (RBCI "Kurskoblkinovideofond") and the municipal cinema network consisting of 218 urban and rural cinemas, working on a foil cinematographic; three cinemas in the city of Kursk, equipped with modern digital equipment with the ability to display movies in 3D; 60 cinemas, which established video projection equipment; 13 video mobile cinemas that serve 97 settlements.
Every year, substantial funds for the purchase of new films and videos are allocated from the regional budget. In 2015, "Kurskoblkinovideofond" purchased 96 new domestic film, and currently about four thousand film-copies and about a thousand of video copies of feature films are kept in the fund and used. Due to this, in 2015, in the field of film projectors were more than 2.6 thousand premieres of feature films; 7.8 thousand of films has been demonstrated.
In recent years, in municipal cinemas of Kursk and its region were organized and successfully held the major film events: creative project "Open Screen"; project "Movie theater"; Film Forum "Golden Knight"; the International Film Festival "Stalker"; Film Festival "Profession: Journalist"; Film Festival"Big Kursk Premiere"; the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the Russian film industry and the centenary of Russian animation;the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the birth of the outstanding Soviet film director, animator and our countryman, B.P. Dezhkin.
During these events, Kursk hosted the largest masters of the Russian screen: Marlene Hutsiev, Larisa Golubkina, VasilyLanovoy, Larisa Luzhin, Alexander Mikhailov, Yuri Nazarov, Inna Makarova, Alexei Petrenko, Nikolai Burlyaev, Igor Starygin, Natalia Krachkovskaya, Valery Garkalin, Eugen Doga, Vadim Abdrashitov, Lyudmila Ivanova, Leonid Nosyrev, Vladimir Tarasov, Garri Bardin, Nikolai Lebedev, Alexander Mindadze and many others.
In August (from 17 to 23) in the Kursk region was demonstrated the film "Fire Arc", dedicated to the 72th anniversary of Victory in the Battle of Kursk. It was attended by all the districts of the region, the military-patriotic film was watched by about 4 thousand spectators.
Throughout the year, the region held a film festival "50 best adaptations", timed to the Year of Literature. During this period, 2400 sessions were held, which were visited by about 65 thousand spectators.
From January to December, in all areas of the region was held a number of film events, dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the composer G.V. Sviridov, which were visited by over 2 million viewers.
There was also the implementation of a creative project, "Movie theater" , in which 21 new domestic films were premiered in 2015; it was attended by 8634 spectators.
Kursk State Drama Theatre named after A.S. Pushkin
Kursk State Drama Theatre firmly holds a leading position in the number of spectators at performances among Russian cities with a population of less than 500 thousand people. The troupeis actively replenished with young actors.
Puppet Theatre presents a variety of drama, having bright directorial and acting potential and an access to cultural values.
The committee on Culture elaborates well thought pricing policy in respect of theatrical and entertainment establishments.
In order to improve the activity of theatrical and entertainment establishments, in 2011, was approved the package of measures aimed at the preservation and development of theatrical business in Kursk region for the period up to 2020. So, in 2012, the annual grants by the Governor of Kursk region were established in order to build creatively significant projects in the field of theatrical art.
In 2015, the regional budget institution of culture "Kursk State Drama Theater named after Pushkin" was awarded a grant of the Kursk Region Governor for conducting performances on the play of A.S. Griboyedov "Woe from Wit" in the amount of 450 thousand rubles.
The leading master of the stage, the actor of Regional Budget Institution of Culture "Kursk State Puppet Theatre", I.V. Semyanovsky, was awarded a prize of the Governor of Kursk region A.P. Burenko for achievement in the field of theatrical art.
In 2015, the theaters were touring, as well as participated in the following festivals.
The team of Kursk State Drama Theatre named after Pushkin took part in the XI-th All-Russian festival "Ostrovsky in the Ostrovsky's house", which was held at the State Academic Maly Theatre of Russia (Moscow); the team of Kursk State Puppet Theatre took part in VII-th International Festival of Puppet Theatres "Belgorod fun" with a performance by William Golding "Lord of the Flies", where it received a diploma "For the best direction."
Exchange tours were held:of Kursk State Drama Theatre named after A.S. Pushkin with Tula Drama Theatre named after Gorky and with Tver Regional Academic Drama Theater; of Kursk State Puppet Theatre with Belgorod, Orel, Gomel theaters.
Kursk State Drama Theater named after A.S. Pushkin and Kursk State Puppet Theatre went on toursto the rural areas of the Kursk region. More than 3 million viewers visited 42 performances of the theaters. 5011 spectators attended 31 Kursk State Philharmonic concert in the rural areas of the region.
Kursk State Philharmonic
In Kursk State Philharmonic,conditions for artistic growth have been created; on the initiative of the committee, new groups in different genres have been set up; the completion of promising artists is underway.
During the summer, concerts of "Music for All" project were held at the Theater Square. Since 2010, within the project "Open Screen", the concerts before film-shows have been held on the outdoor concert platforms of the Kursk region.
There was held the XVI Music Festival named after Sviridov, dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the birth of G.V.Sviridov, which was attended by the Symphony Orchestra of Belgorod State Philharmonic (artistic director and chief conductor - the Honored Worker of Arts of Ukraine R. Nigamatullin), Saint Petersburg Court Chapel (artistic Director – the People's Artist of the USSR, V. Chernushenko). During the festival, a project for the areas of Kursk region "On the 100th anniversary of G.V. Sviridov" was implemented. The Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestra of Russian Folk Instruments named after V.F. Gridin conducted concert programs in all parts of the Kursk Region.
Art groups and soloists from Moscow, Voronezh, St. Petersburg, Lipetsk, Orel, Kharkov, Vologda took part in the VIII Music Festival, named after the People's Artist of the Russian Federation, Victor Gridin.
In the framework of cooperation, concerts of groups from the Crimeanand Donetsk Philharmonics took place in the hall of the Philharmonic;the soloists of Kursk Philharmonic traveled to the Republic of Belarus (Gomel) with a concert at the Palace of Rumyantsev (Gomel Philharmonic).